Friday, May 13, 2011

Self Portrait

Inspirational Self Portraits

Title: Self Portrait
Year: 2009
By: Hung Van DoanMedium: Charcoal Pencil and graphite




Title: Self Portrait
Year: 1923
By: Francis PicabiaMedium: Pencil 




Title: Self Portrait #4
Year: unknown
By: James Alexander HollandMedium: Pencil 



1.Why did you select the inspiration pieces?
I chose these inspiration pieces because all the artists used a similar medium. I like the use of just pencil and charcoal opposed to the use of color for self portraits. 



Photo of myself

Self Portrait


2. Why did you select the media to create your self portrait?
I like working with pencil and I like that you are able to make different values with the same medium.

3. What challenges did you face in creating your self portrait and how did you overcome them?
I had to decide what I wanted to do with the portrait.  Did I want to make it realistic or not?  I went with realistic because It was easier for me to do.

4. How does this piece represent me?
In this picture I am just relaxing after a long day.  It shows me lounging after a hard day's work.

5. What elements and principles of design did you apply to this work?  
There is texture with all of the shading.   There is also symmetry and balance mostly because faces are naturally that way.

6. Did you enjoy working on this project?
I liked it because it was the first time that I did a self portrait.

7. What did you think of your final artwork?
I thought it was pretty good.  I am not much of an artist, but I see myself in the mirror every day so this was a bit easier for me to do.


No comments:

Post a Comment